some people have trouble connecting to Gtalk on Kopete here is hoe to do it.
- Open Kopete go to Settings»configure»accounts
- Add a new Jabber account.
- Enter your complete Google Mail address and corresponding password.
- go to the Connection page of the dialog.
- check “Use protocol encryption (SSL)” checkbox
- check “Allow plain-text password authentication” checkbox
- check “override default server information” checkbox
- and set server to “talk.google.com port 5223, If you are behind a firewall and can’t connect to the 5223 port you can use the 443 port (standard SSL port).
there you are all set to connect and enjoy
NOTE :- if you recive some sort of SSL errors just install the qca-tls package by ‘sudo apt-get install qca-tls’ in debian/Ubuntu